In today's ever-changing digital landscape, businesses find themselves compelled to adapt to shifting business dynamics and the ever-evolving expectations of their customers. As organizations continue to embrace digital transformation, they inevitably expose their sensitive data and services to a growing array of cyber threats. In response to this critical challenge, the practice of External Attack Surface Management (EASM) has arisen as an indispensable strategy.
External Attack Surface Management entails a strategic approach to identifying, monitoring, and effectively managing assets to understand and minimize the potential attack surface. This attack surface encompasses many elements, ranging from web applications and servers to cloud resources, network devices, and APIs.
Why Is Your Organization Potentially Under Threat?
· Technological Innovation: Each new technology deployment is likely to expand an organization's attack surface, making it susceptible to an increasing number of potential threats.
· Diverse Solutions: The plethora of security solutions available in the market can create a challenging landscape for companies striving to select the most effective ones.
· Sophisticated Cybercriminals: Malicious actors have harnessed increasingly advanced tools to exploit subtle vulnerabilities within an organization's infrastructure.
· Undetected Incidents: Inadequate management can result in security incidents going unnoticed for extended periods, rendering organizations vulnerable.
· Alert Management Complexity: Distinguishing genuine threats from false alarms necessitates expertise, which adds complexity to incident response.
· Resource Costs and Skill Requirements: Shielding an organization from cyber threats demands substantial resources and expertise.
· Regulatory Challenges: Stringent regulations compound the cybersecurity landscape.
· Responsiveness Matters: Swift responses are essential to effectively counter cyberattacks.
· Third-Party Risks: External suppliers and subcontractors may introduce risks by providing access to sensitive information.
Steps for Effective Attack Surface Management
To embark on a journey of effective attack surface management, organizations should follow these pivotal steps:
1. Asset Categorization: Begin by categorizing assets based on systems, domains, or IP addresses.
2. Vulnerability Assessment: Conduct thorough assessments to identify potential weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
3. Error Remediation: Swiftly address and rectify errors to minimize the potential impact of attacks.
4. Continuous Monitoring: Employ proficient security teams to maintain a vigilant watch over the organization's digital landscape.
5. Vulnerability Prioritization: Prioritize identified vulnerabilities based on comprehensive risk assessments.
6. Incident Response Planning: Develop a comprehensive incident response plan to be prepared for any contingencies.
7. Documentation: Maintain comprehensive records and reports to monitor progress and identify areas for improvement.
8. Regulatory Compliance Verification: Ensure that the organization adheres to relevant regulations and standards.
IBM QRadar ASM: Your Trusted EASM Solution
IBM QRadar ASM stands out as a robust solution for identifying, assessing, and managing the attack surface. Here's why it deserves your consideration:
Risk Reduction: QRadar ASM provides a comprehensive analysis of your organization's external information system, identifying all potential entry points. This enables real-time vulnerability prioritization, ultimately reducing reaction times. It seamlessly integrates with the QRadar SIEM solution, enhancing data correlation.
Vulnerability Prioritization: This solution assigns risk scores to vulnerabilities, empowering security teams to respond promptly. With a customizable dashboard and detailed reports, effective decision-making becomes more accessible.
Regulatory Compliance: QRadar ASM assists organizations in maintaining compliance with regulations such as GDPR, HIPAA, PCI DSS, and ISO 27001. It achieves this by identifying potential non-compliance vulnerabilities and tracking necessary corrections.
Excellium's EyeGuard Services: Your Partner in EASM
Excellium Services offers an array of managed security services, including External Attack Surface Management through its Eyeguard™ Services Hub. These services encompass continuous identification of the surface of exposure, highlighting vulnerabilities, and conducting simulations on exploitability to prioritize remediation.
• Continuous and dynamic identification of the exposure surface of the information system, based on simple information such as the company's domain names.
• Highlighting the vulnerabilities of the identified assets, with a view similar to that of an attacker opportunistically scanning the external perimeter
• Simulation of the exploitability of these vulnerabilities in a cybersecurity context, in order to feed prioritization processes and facilitate the construction of a remediation plan.
Don't Miss Excellium's Expertise Morning
To delve deeper into these critical security issues, Excellium Services invites you to join their Expertise Morning event on January 11th at their premises. The event's agenda is as follows:
• 8:30 am: Welcome and breakfast
• 9:00 am: Introduction
• 9:15 am: Presentation
• 10:30 am: Discussion and Q&A
• 11:30 am: Coffee break and networking
• 12:30 pm: Conclusion of the event
In the face of ever-evolving cyber threats, the practice of External Attack Surface Management takes center stage in safeguarding your organization's digital assets. Leveraging IBM QRadar ASM and collaborating with Excellium Services can provide comprehensive security solutions, essential for protecting your business, reducing risks, and ensuring compliance with regulations. Stay ahead of the curve and secure your digital future with proactive EASM strategies.
For more information and inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Subscribe to our Newsletters
Stay up to date with our latest news
"Small is Beautiful": Post Cyberforce, Wins GSMA Telecommunication-ISAC Award
by Kamel Amroune I 7:32 am, 28th February
Embodying the principle that "Small is Beautiful," Post Cyberforce, under the exemplary leadership of Mohamed Ourdane, and Alexandre De Oliveira for his investment in GSMA T-ISAC have been honored with the prestigious GSMA Telecommunication-ISAC awards.
Interview de Paul Jung : Ivanti et les défis de la cybersécurité
by Excellium Services I 8:52 pm, 12th February
Ivanti, un fournisseur américain de logiciels, a été confronté à une série de vulnérabilités majeures affectant ses appliances de VPN professionnel, notamment Ivanti Connect Secure. Ces failles ont été exploitées dans une attaque de grande envergure touchant des milliers de clients répartis dans des secteurs critiques tels que l'aérospatial, la finance, la défense et les télécommunications à l'échelle mondiale. Les entreprises françaises ainsi que des firmes du Fortune 500 figurent parmi les victimes de cette cyberattaque. Bien qu'Ivanti n'ait pas été directement piraté, les experts en cybersécurité, notamment ceux de la firme Volexity, ont identifié des compromissions potentielles de données affectant au moins 1 700 entreprises.Dans cette interview, nous avons eu l'occasion de discuter avec Paul Jung, Responsable des Opérations CSIRT, chez Excellium Services, pour évaluer l'impact de ces vulnérabilités et discuter des mesures à prendre pour renforcer la sécurité des entreprises touchées.